Monday, December 05, 2016

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?




Kaila Lafferty (class of 2012)

Growing up I had this creative energy that I could never figure out how to focus. I couldn’t draw or paint, but one thing I was really good at was telling stories. It wasn’t until high school that I realized that telling stories could be my future. I decided to join the Digital Filmmaking Program at Ballard High School, and from that point on I knew my passion.

Shortly after beginning my first production class I found that I had another passion: filming. I learned that there is no better feeling in the world than clean rack focus, or framing up the perfect shot. By the time I finished high school, my films had been nominated by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for Student Production Awards presented at the Northwest Regional Emmys, featured (three times) in the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (an international festival), and won Best Documentary at the national Derek Freese Youth Film Festival in Philadelphia. The knowledge I gained from the Digital Filmmaking Program at Ballard High School was invaluable, and gave me the tools I needed to find my path in life.

I graduated in 2012 and decided to take my passion for storytelling to The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication at Washington State University, where I majored in Broadcast Journalism.  During my years there, I aced my classes involving filming and editing, and became a producer for Cable 8 Productions. My senior year I interned at KHQ Local News in Spokane, Washington and this is where I learned that being a reporter was my calling. As I was graduating with my bachelor’s degree in May of 2016, I found out that I had won a Northwest Regional Emmy for Best Overall Newscast for a show I had produced for Murrow News 8. 

I decided to accept a job as reporter and anchor for KLEW News in Lewiston, Idaho. Every day I get to meet new people and tell their stories, I get to film and edit and - best of all – pursue my passion for storytelling. I couldn’t have done this without what I learned from Mr. Lawrence and the Digital Filmmaking Program.